Tuesday, December 28, 2010

INVITATION TO AN ISLAND

The aftermath of the morning’s surge
froths up in the furling waters.
The sea deluges from the sky
and pours down on the Earth
which looks even bluer
from a close-up stance.

A friend drops in and shakes me up,
suggesting we should show up on the shore.
But I, well I still sluggishly flow
in a slow sleep undertow,
I say yes maybe I go, but not in these small hours,
don’t wait on me, I only follow along later on.

Midday, the blaring webs
of sunbeams pack in tangles
and on an infinite arch the day dangles.
As a ceaseless loaf, the horizon brews,
and the glass dome over a deep blue
looks like a capsized cup.

My folks dust off the shadows from their clothes,
as though only dressed with their very nakedness,
they poll in unison for a beach stroll.
I say I might as well go,
but right now I feel like some more quiet,
I just want to leave as soon as the sun retreats.

The sea roars, calling for its prey.
The colours multiply in spirit shades
that barely fit the palette plate.
The leaves grumble about the sultry haze,
and the heat, like an impertinent tramp,
frightens the birds from off the branches.

The girls from the neighbourhood
turn up to inquire if this afternoon
I won’t let them down, but will provide
them company, a bit more and the sun will hide.
Not just yet, I still prefer to wrap in my laze,
but in the event it gets soothed,

who knows if I end this evening
also wrapped up in sand.
After the day has made its time,
the wind brings a far-off voice,
but there is nobody nearby:
it is the sun sighing for me to see it bleeding,

pretending it is going to die,
but I shouldn’t take it so seriously.
And there I up and go on my own,
traveling the darkened paths
that all have stamped and abandoned.
I can finally part because now I know

my eyes will not get distracted
by the crowds of colours
the day has enacted onto the world.
And so I will able to be all ears to
the waves’ choir, and as fluid
as the leaves and the lumping shadows,

light of all the things
I didn’t want and don’t lug along with me,
I will be the very first to arrive near there,
where the sea takes stock and fares
towards the beach that lies on
the other side of horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment